2018 USA Games
July 1-6, 2018
Team Missouri slots
Every four years, Special Olympics conducts a national summer games in the United States that includes athletes from all 52 US Programs.
The 2018 Special Olympics USA Games, formerly known as the National Games, will bring 3,500 athletes to the greater Seattle area to compete in a variety of sports. Hosted at some of the region’s top athletic facilities including the University of Washington, King County Aquatics Center and Federal Way’s Celebration Park, the USA Games will offer athletes, their coaches, and families a week of national competition while surrounded by Seattle’s beauty and world-class attractions
Team Missouri will consist of the following slots in each sport (still subject to change):
Track & Field -- 4 females, 4 males, 2 coaches, 1 sport manager
Bocce -- 4 females, 4 males, 2 Unified Partner females, 2 Unified Partner males, 1 coach, 1 sport manager
Bowling -- 2 female, 2 males, 2 Unified Partner females, 2 Unified Partner males, 1 coach, 1 sport manager
Golf -- 4 males, 2 Unified Partner males, 1 coach, 1 sport manager
Powerlifting -- 1 female, 3 males, 1 coach, 1 sport manager (shared with tennis)
Tennis -- 3 male, 1 Unified Partner male, 1 coach, 1 sport manager (shared with powerlifting)
Swimming -- 4 females, 4 males, 1 coach, 1 sport manager
Basketball (Unified team) -- at least 5 females/males, up to 5 female/male Unified Partners, 2 coaches, 1 sport manager
Softball (Regulation team) -- up to 15 females/males, 2 coaches, 1 sport manager
- Beginning with the 2016 State Outdoor Games, all athletes that achieve gold medals in the sports listed above will be eligible to be nominated for a chance to be on Team Missouri
- Athletes may be nominated by anyone. The nominations must be sent to the Area Office and must be approved by the Area Program Staff.
- Coaches may apply for any sport that they are certified to coach. The applications must be sent to the Area Office and be approved by the Area Program Staff
- At the conclusion of the 2017 State Summer Games, athletes that have been nominated and coaches that have applied will be screened by SOMO Staff and a selection of 2 or 3 people per slot will be invited to attend the National Games Selection Camp June 18-23, 2017.
- At the conclusion of the USA Games Selection Camp, Team Missouri will be selected by SOMO Staff.
- Athletes need to raise a minimum of $3,000 to attend. Coaches and Sport Managers need to raise a minimum of $1,000 to attend. SOMO will assist with various fundraising events and ideas throughout the year.
- All delegates must agree to follow the SOMO Code of Conduct.
- Athletes must be at least 14 years old to apply.
- Athletes who have gone to a World or USA Games can still be considered to go again, BUT SOMO will try to take athletes, coaches and sport managers who have not gone before when possible.
- The athletes and coaches must be able to walk up to 5-10 miles every day while we are at the USA Games.
- Application deadline for athletes/Unified Partners is May 1, 2017. Application deadline for coaches and sport managers is March 20, 2017.
- In August or September of 2017, all participants will be required to attend a Team Missouri weekend with their parents or guardians.
- In March of 2018 all delegates for Team Missouri will have a Training Weekend.
- In May of 2018 all Team Missouri delegates will meet to try on and label their General Wear and Uniforms and train with their teammates
- In June of 2018, Team Missouri will go to Seattle for USA Games for not more than 10 days.
In order to be on Team Missouri, you must fill out a form for the position you want (applications like to a different website where you can fill out and submit all in one place):
Not sure what each job does before, during and after USA Games? Click the links below to find out more information on each position.
Coach (due date March 20, 2017)
Sport Manager (due date March 20, 2017)
Athlete/Unified Partner (due date May 1, 2017)
NOTE: If you are applying for a Summer Games sport (powerlifting, swimming and track and field), you will need to apply BEFORE you know if you even qualify.