RELEASE: 21st Annual Lake Saint Louis Polar Plunge raises more than $126,500 for SOMO
LAKE SAINT LOUIS – The 21st Annual Lake Saint Louis Polar Plunge on Feb. 3 was a splashing success, raising $126,526 to date. A total of 347 brave men and women from around the area donned Hawaiian-themed costumes and swimwear to take a chilly dip into Lake St. Louise. Their Reason for Freezin’ wasthe athletes of Special Olympics Missouri (SOMO).
Online fundraising is still ongoing. Organizers of the Plunge are excited they surpassed the goal of $90,000 thanks to the incredible support of the community. Donations can still be made on our online fundraising page.
“We had a beautiful day for the Lake Saint Louis Polar Plunge,” Plunge Coordinator Kellen Wolters said. “I am so grateful for the amazing support of our law enforcement, school and community teams all coming together for our SOMO athletes!”
Top individual fundraisers:
- Dave Hurst – UAW/GM – $3,071
- Nick Barbier – Wentzville PD – $2,738.91
- Joe Gardner – St. Peters PD – $2,365
Top team fundraisers:
- Wentzville Police Department
- JHS Student Council
Competition for the Golden Plunger was steep this year. Participants were encouraged to come in costume and compete for the chance to take home the “Golden Plunger.”
- Best Dressed Community Team – Sara’s Stars
- Best Dressed Law Enforcement Team – St. Louis Metro Police Department
- Best Dressed School Team – Timberland High School
SOMO was lucky to have a Plunge ambassador helping with this event. Our Plunge Ambassador for this year’s Plunge was Glenn Plank. He is a SOMO athlete, and he worked for months to help spread awareness of the Plunge!
This year’s event was held in conjunction with Lake St. Louis, Wentzville, O’Fallon and St. Charles County Police Departments.
Thank you so much to our sponsors!
- Our Polar Level sponsors are Lake St. Louis Community Association and Toyota
- Our Tundra Level sponsors are Premiere Rentals and Purpose Wrecker
For more information about the Polar Plunge, visit www.somo.org/plunge.
Media is welcome to download and use any pictures from our Flickr page here!