Because of the wide array of swimming events offered, Aquatics is appropriate for a range of ages and ability levels. Aquatics competition events are based on a variety of strokes. Special Olympics also offers events for lower ability level athletes to train and compete in basic aquatics skills. The development of these key skills is necessary prior to advancing to longer competitive events.
As in all Special Olympics sports, athletes are grouped in competition divisions according to ability level, age and gender.
- 50, 100, 200, 400, 800, and 1,500 Meter
Individual Medley Events:
- 200 and 400 Meter
Freestyle and Medley Relay Events:
- 4 x 25, 4 x 50 and 4 x 100 Meter
- 4 x 200 Meter Freestyle Relay
Unified Sports® Relay Events:
- Freestyle: 4 x 100 and 4 x 200 Meter
- Medley: 4 x 25, 4 x 50 and 4 x 100 Meter
"Let me win. But if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt."