Athletes train for a minimum of eight weeks for the sports they participate in. From there, they can participate on a local level, followed by area, and sometimes regional competition for their opportunity to compete on a state level. For some, opportunities go beyond the state level to national and even World Games.
Special Olympics Missouri offers three state-level events throughout the year. Here, athletes get to travel away from home overnight and gain a sense of independence while making new friends and shining in front of a statewide audience.
COVID-19 updates and protocols are available here.
State Indoor Games
(St. Charles) March: Basketball and Bowling
Altered for 2021 -- Bowling will take place in December 2021 and Basketball will take place in March 2022
State Bowling has been split from Basketball this year due to Covid-19 timeline disruption. State basketball will now be held March 18-19, 2022, in St. Charles.
STATE BOWLING 2021
• State Bowling will be held Dec. 4, 2021 in St. Charles, MO
• 750+ athletes and unified partners
• Three bowling alleys: Cave Springs, Harvest Lanes, St. Charles Lanes
• There will be three sessions throughout the day
• Healthy Athletes and Souvenirs will be mobile and visiting each bowling alley throughout the day on a set schedule.
STATE BASKETBALL 2022
• State Basketball will be held Mar. 18-19, 2022 in St. Charles, MO
• 3,000 athletes, coaches and unified partners
• Five locations: Lindenwood University, St Charles West High School, Jefferson Middle School, Duschene High School, Hardin Middle School
• Opening Ceremony and Healthy Athletes will be held Friday night, with the dance and entertainment to follow.
• Events: 3-v-3 Unified Teams, 3-v-3 Regulation Teams, Unified Teams, Modified Teams, Regulation Teams, Team Skills, Individual Skills Athletes
Contact your local staff for more information on what sports we are offering in early 2022.
State Summer Games
- State Summer Games will be held May 20-22, 2022 in Columbia, MO
- More than 1,000 athletes, coaches and unified partners
- Two locations: Mizzou, Rock Bridge High School
- Opening Ceremony will be held Friday at 7 p.m. at Carnahan Quad
- Healthy Athletes will be held Saturday night with the dance and entertainment to follow.
- 4 events: Track & Field (Saturday/Sunday), Aquatics (Saturday), Powerlifting (Saturday) and Volleyball (Friday)
- Be sure to download our app or check out the web version!
- Want to volunteer? Click here!
State Outdoor Games
(Jefferson City) Oct. 7-9, 2022: Bocce, golf, tennis, softball and flag football.
Every four years, the USA National Games provide an opportunity for athletes to compete at the national level in summer sports. The 2018 USA Games were held in Seattle. The 2022 USA Games are set for Orlando. To qualify, individuals need to receive a gold medal in their sport of choice during the year prior to selection camp, attend selection camp, and be selected to Team Missouri. For more info, email us!
June 5-12, 2022 Orlando, FL
We're officially taking 97 athletes, 27 coaches/sports managers, and 8 staff to the 2022 USA Games in Orlando!
- Basketball (Women's) 3-on-3 -- two teams
- Flag Football (Unified) -- two teams
- Golf (Levels 1: female only; Levels 2-3: male only)
- Tennis (1 female spot; 1 male spot; 1 female Unified Partner spot)
Every four years, Special Olympics conducts a national summer games in the United States that includes athletes from all 52 US Programs.
The 2022 Special Olympics USA Games will bring 3,500 athletes to the greater Orlando area to compete in a variety of sports at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex.
In addition to competing on the national stage, Missouri athletes have the prestigious honor of representing their country on the global stage as part of the Special Olympics World Games.
World Games usually happen every two years and alternate between summer and winter sports. We've had numerous athletes from Missouri compete with Special Olympics USA at World Games over the years.
If you're interested in the World Games in any way, please contact us or visit the links below for each of the next two World Games!