Gary Brimer Sports Camp gives athletes a chance to experience several different sports while also learning important life skills. In addition to sports opportunities, athletes have the opportunity to learn about art, nature, health and much more! Athletes enjoy the usual summer camp experience while gaining important independent life and social skills. They also get to enhance their sports skills in a friendly and encouraging environment.
This camp was created in 1997 and takes place in June every year. The annual camp was named after Gary Brimer in 2021. Brimer passed away after a battle with cancer in Nov. 2020, leaving behind a lasting legacy. Brimer began his journey with SOMO in 1976, and he dedicated 41 years of his life to providing year-round sports training and competition to the thousands of athletes in Missouri. He started as a volunteer, but he ultimately became SOMO’s Director of Sports and Training. During his career, Brimer was instrumental in starting this camp. He also led the charge to develop a coaches training program. Brimer retired from SOMO in 2016.
- Registration fee to attend $300
- A limited amount of camp scholarships are available. An application must be filled out in order to show qualification for a scholarships. Email us for more info.
- Gary Brimer Sports Camp provides an intensive training program for Special Olympics Missouri athletes across the state. Athletes will move up to 10 miles every day
- Primary sports offered are swimming, soccer, basketball, bocce, golf, softball, tennis and volleyball. We have also offered cycling, disc golf, floorball, and other non-official SOMO sports.
- Special Olympics Missouri coaches and athletes who would like to attend Gary Brimer Sports Camp must complete a camp application.
- Athletes of all skill levels are welcome from beginners to advanced athletes.
- Athletes will be grouped with other athletes from across the state.
- Questions? Email us!
2020 Virtual Camp
In June 2020, we were prepared to offer the very first Gary Brimer Sports Camp at the Training for Life Campus. However, the COVID-19 pandemic forced us to change our plans. Instead, we offered a Virtual Sports Camp where our camp counselors produced videos on their sports and we showed multiple videos per day. Below is a collection of those videos categorized by activity. These can be great training videos for years to come, so please share them with athletes, coaches, and families alike!