“The right to play on any playing field? You have earned it. The right to study in any school? You have earned it. The right to hold a job? You have earned it. The right to be anyone’s neighbor. You have earned it.”
- Eunice Kennedy Shriver, founder, Special Olympics.
We, the staff of Special Olympics Missouri, believe in the following guiding values, which are engrained in the way we think and act:
Accountability, Excellence, Integrity, Optimism, Unity
These beliefs guide our choices and define for us integrity and the right
course of action that bond us together as TEAM SOMO.
If you are looking to contact a specific staff member or a specific area,
select the "Staff" tab below to find who you are looking for.
Have a question, but aren't sure who to ask? Email us!
The Special Olympics Missouri Board of Directors is responsible for setting the direction of the organization. They formulate and establish policies and oversee the President/CEO of the organization.
The Board also protects the assets and resources of the organization and develops goals to meet our financial needs to ensure the long-range financial stability of the organization. The Board members are independent voting members serving for a two-year term and can serve for four full consecutive terms.
Are you interested in joining the board of directors? Let us know!
Special Olympics Missouri Young Professionals Board
The Special Olympics Missouri Young Professionals Board (SOMO YPB) is a career and volunteer development opportunity geared toward integrating the time, talents and interests of young professionals (ages 21-40) to help further the mission of Special Olympics Missouri.
BENEFITS OF BEING ON THE YOUNG PROFESSIONALS BOARD:
- Expand your professional network.
- Gain valuable leadership experience.
- Receive recognition on SOMO website, newsletter, and annual report.
- Make strategic professional connections through networking events with SOMO’s Board of Directors.
- Make a difference in the lives of Special Olympics Missouri athletes.
- Serve at least a two-year term on the SOMO YPB.
- Attend a majority of SOMO YPB meetings.
- Participate in SOMO YPB committees as needed.
- Collaborate and leverage members’ professional and social networks to advance SOMO’s mission.
- Act as ambassadors of SOMO, increasing awareness of its mission and building community engagement.
- Provide support for special events, fundraising campaigns and volunteer-related activities.
- Increase SOMO’s volunteer and coaching network.
- Plan fundraising events and recruit new members.
- Be well informed and prepared for meetings.
- Listen respectfully to all viewpoints.
SOMO is currently accepting nominations for our inaugural membership to the SOMO YPB. If you are interested in joining, please read through the charter and fill out the online SOMO YPB Self-Nomination Form.
Josh Pell is the General Manager of Mizzou Sports Properties, a property of Learfield IMG College. Pell has been with Learfield IMG College since 2010, serving in his current role since December of 2019. Mizzou Sports Properties oversees strategic sponsorships with local, regional and national businesses looking to align with the Tigers, as well as the comprehensive rights relationship which includes signage, digital, radio, hospitality and promotions. Pell is a graduate of Missouri State University and currently resides in Columbia with his wife, Jenna. They have two children, Avery and Brody.
If these job openings don't interest you, please check back in the future. You can also fill out our online employment application and we will contact you if any jobs open up that we feel line up with your experience.
Questions about the job application process? Email us!
IS SPECIAL OLYMPICS RIGHT FOR YOU?
We encourage you to apply if:
- You have experience successfully working alongside determined individuals
- You understand the importance of relationships as the secret sauce
- You’re a self-starter and committed to the greater good
- You’re results driven, bottom-line oriented and steadfastly push yourself to achieve goals
- You enjoy navigating challenges and being solution oriented
- You’re an out-of-the-box thinker who thrives on innovation to ensure mission success
- You’re generous with your time and enjoy flexibility
- You’re an exceptional team player with a great work ethic
Special Olympics Missouri loves interns! Applications are accepted throughout the year for a variety of positions within our non-profit organization. Internships are available in public relations and communications, event planning and development, sports management, health and wellness, or youth engagement. If you’re an enthusiastic leader who works independently and you have excellent organizational and communication skills, please consider Special Olympics.
While most interns are unpaid, they can receive school credit, depending on their school’s requirements. We are looking for self-starters with excellent verbal, written, and organizational skills.
With six different offices around the state, we have internships near you. They also range in subject matter from operations, to fundraising, to event planning, to public relations, to health, and much more.
There are currently no internships available. Check back again later!
We also have volunteer opportunities available for everyone. The time commitment for Special Olympics volunteers varies from a few hours per year at specific events to working several hours a week year-round. For more information on volunteering, please visit our Volunteers page.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume that highlights your experience and career goals to the e-mail address below that is specified with each internship.