Annual Report • Audit • Form 990
Special Olympics Missouri is proud to return 85% of every dollar back to program services. We are privileged to be recognized with these honors: BBB A+ Charity Accreditation, Charity Navigator 3-star rating and Guidestar Gold Level.
Copies of our most recent annual report, audit and 990 are at the bottom of this page.
Thank you for trusting us with your donations, volunteer time and your goodwill. We understand that there are thousands of other very deserving charities to which you could donate.
Please take a tour of what happened at SOMO in 2015 through our online annual report.
We want to share with you some of efforts we’ve undertaken to improve fiscal accountability and transparency.
A copy of our printed annual report is below, but to read through our multimedia version, which has videos, photos and text stories from 2015, follow this link!
- On average, 85% of every dollar spent goes to support and grow our program.
- Every year, SOMO goes through an annual audit process with an external, independent auditor. SOMO is proud to have earned a “clean” unqualified audit opinion in every year we’ve been audited.
- Donor listings are available for those organizations and individuals who donated to our cause in 2015.
- SOMO proactively adopted an Audit Committee in 2007 to oversee the annual external audit process. The Audit Committee is made up of both board members and non board members to ensure independent oversight.
- The SOMO Finance Committee meets quarterly to review the financial position of SOMO. The Finance Committee is made up of both board members and non board members to ensure independent oversight.
- The Board of Directors recently took proactive measures to establish many important governance policies:
- Document Destruction and Retention – outlines how long we keep various organizational documents and what happens to those documents once the allotted time period has elapsed.
- Whistleblower Protections – allows one to come forward, confidentially and unanimously, to report fraud or other illegal activities.
- Conflict of Interest – Board members will review our conflict of interest policy on an annual basis and sign off on the document indicating their understanding.
- SOMO’s Board of Directors sets the CEO salary based upon average peer data from a National Special Olympics CEO Salary Survey completed independently. To see how SOMO’s Board adheres to the IRS ruling that compensation is “reasonable and not excessive” please review SOMO’s Form 990.
While we understand that our financials play an important role in your decision to support Special Olympics Missouri, we want you to take the time to consider what our financials can't show. Our financials can't show you the impact of our mission, exciting new programs, and special events. They can't show you how many organizations have designated SOMO their charity of choice. They don't tell the story of how individuals with intellectual disabilities are able to dream big with SOMO. We want you to see the proactive efforts our Board of Directors has made to increase financial transparency. We want you to see how SOMO builds communities of acceptance and tolerance through the joy of sporting competitions. We want you to see that we have hundreds of competition events available at the local, area, district, state, national and international levels. And financials can't tell you any of that. They can't tell you how YOU can be a fan of sports, unity, empowerment, courage and acceptance. SOMO is more than financial statements. Use our website or contact us to find out more about how you can be a part of changing lives.