Team Missouri Newsletter: Day 2 of Competition
Team MO Magic Newsletter
As always, be sure to check out our Facebook and Flickr pages where you can view all of the photos we take throughout the week. Also, follow us on our social media channels (links at the bottom of this newsletter). If you like what you see with MO Magic and would like to continue to support them, please donate now: https://somo.org/2018-usa-games-donations
Below you will find a short recap of each team for the day For a full detailed schedule for each sport on Tuesday, download the mobile app.
Another 8 a.m. game on Tuesday for the basketball boys and this one turned out a little better, ending in a win vs. Alaska, 23-18. Coach Kris Clark said it was a really good, evenly-matched game that they won due to their defense. The second game in the afternoon ended in an OT loss vs. Arizona 38-33. They erased a late lead in the last minute to force OT, but ran out of gas in the extra period. It was a fantastic game and they battled through adversity throughout.
Tuesday saw all kinds of bocce action with mixed results for Team Missouri:
- Amanda Koch won bronze
- Becca Tincknell won silver
- Jaime Rosso took 6th
- Lisa Berryhill won silver
- Colin Garrison took 4th
- James Ross won silver
- Matt Davidson took 4th
- Bobby Bates took 6th
- Doubles/Teams (they only played one game Tuesday with more to come on Wednesday)
- Jaime/Amanda lost
- James/Bobby lost
- Lisa/Marsha lost
- Kathy/Becca lost
- Larry/Colin lost
- Matt/Paul WON
The bowling team had the day off so they slept in (and made them the envy of all the other teams in the process), went to the fan zone, watched the bocce and track teams and went to Healthy Athletes for the second time. They are looking forward to Team Unified competition on Wednesday morning.
Coach Steve Wiederholt said it was the “prettiest day on a golf course I’ve seen in a long time.” Three of the four groups on Tuesday improved their scores from Monday.
- Thomas Cleek (18-hole): 80
- John Hughes & Mike Garrison (Unified): 55
- Jerry McMullen & Nick McMullen (Unified): 55
- Cade & Doug Marian (Unified): 43
All of the golfers are looking forward to the medal round on Wednesday.
Charlie Phillips was the only competitor to perform his lifts on Tuesday night at Meany Hall. For most of his lifts he had a crowd of at least 65 people cheering him on. His total kg for all three lifts combined was 413 (910 pounds). Stan said he hit all his marks except for his last benchpress. He earned a bronze in deadlift, silver in benchpress, a bronze in squat and a silver for the combination of all three lifts.
The team came right out of the gates early this morning and beat Washington 19-0 and followed that up with a 24-4 win vs. Maryland. Coach Amy Rush said they team showed great sportsmanship during the two lopsided wins.
A long day at the pool for the swimmers ended with the following results:
- Curtis Herbold won silver in 50 M butterfly
- Jessica Grammer won bronze in 50 M butterfly
- Logan Hulett took 4th in 100 M backstroke
- Devin Bock was awarded a participation ribbon for the 50 M butterfly
The results from Monday (Neha, gold; Joel, silver; Ali, gold) were awarded on Tuesday.
It was another busy, 13-hour day at the courts for our tennis team.
- Simon and Lucas went 2-0
- Kris and Jeremy went 0-3
- Simon went 1-0
- Lucas went 0-1
- Kris went 0-1
Coach Ashley Wurst said while the results don’t reflect it, the games were all really close. The medal rounds begin on Wednesday with all the players competing in singles, teams and Unified doubles.
Track & Field
It was a beautiful day out at Husky Track on Tuesday and we saw a large group of Team Missouri athletes competing.
The results are as follows:
- Mark Harris took 6th in the 200 M run
- Dustin Johnson won bronze in the 200 M run
- Mark Harris took 4th in the shotput
- Jesse Hodgson won silver in the 50 M run
- Brett Harper took 4th in the 800 M run
- Lynna Hodgson won gold in the 100 M run
- Shaquana Hobbs took 6th in the 100 M run
- Emily Carroll won silver in the standing long jump
- Emily Carroll took 6th in the 50 M run
- Jesse Hodgson won bronze in the softball throw
- Dustin Johnson won bronze in the 200 M run
The section below shows what delegates have been writing blogs for us. These are new blogs written on Tuesday night to recap that day and previous day’s activities.
- Allison D’Agostino (Athlete-Leader PR assistant) wrote a story about a former Missourian whose first Special Olympics volunteer experience was this week at the USA Games helping Jesse Hodgson at track and field
- Rachel Hanson (PR Assistant)
- Lynna Hodgson (Athlete, Track and Field)
To view all blogs, visit our WordPress site and look through them all. The links below are blogs written for Monday’s activities!
With the addition of an athlete-leader on our Team Missouri staff, we wanted to utilize Allison’s skillset and try something new. So we’re excited to announce Allison’s SECOND recap show, which you can view here. On Tuesday night, she talked to Coach Amy Wurst with Jessica Grammer from swimming and Coach Michelle Howell with Jesse Hodgson from track and field.
We will have much more to update throughout the week, so stay tuned!
Again, the best way to stay up to date and view the next day’s schedule is to download the Team Missouri mobile app. For more info on the app, see below.
TEAM MISSOURI APP
Whether you will watch Team Missouri athletes compete in Seattle or you just want to follow their progress from afar, the Team Missouri mobile app has features to enhance your experience cheering them on:
- Newsletters/updates on daily competitions
- Communicate with other parents/coaches
- Photo gallery
- Alerts from SOMO
- SO MUCH MORE!
There are two ways to download our app:
- Open the app store on your mobile device and search ‘Whova.’ Once Whova is downloaded, open that app and search ‘Team Missouri’ or ‘USA Games’ and select ‘2018 USA Games: Team Missouri’ and you’re good to go.
- Scan the QR code in the poster below to take you directly there
We will also be sending out nightly newsletters updating you on the progress of Team Missouri. Those newsletters will be emailed AND posted to the mobile app. If you want to receive the newsletters, but don’t want to sign up for the mobile app, please click here (if you received this email, you’re already signed up). The best way to stay up-to-date as competitions are going on, however, is to download the app and receive real-time alerts from Seattle!
We are still working on adding a few things here and there, so make sure you check back in near the end of June to get the full experience.
TEAM MISSOURI DELEGATION STAFFING
Susan Shaffer — Head of Delegation
firstname.lastname@example.org 573-635-1660 or 573-489-4778
Brandon Schatsiek — Public Relations Manager
email@example.com 573-635-1660 OR 573-821-4646
Jana Fornelli — GOC/SONA Family Liaison
Laurie Shadoan — Fundraising
Mandi Ballinger – Sendoff & Fundraising Websites