We, the staff of Special Olympics Missouri, believe in the following guiding values, which are engrained in the way we think and act:
Accountability, Excellence, Integrity, Optimism, Unity
These beliefs guide our choices and define for us integrity and the right course of action that bond us together as TEAM SOMO.
Special Olympics Missouri is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.
Download Employment Application with Electronic Signature (Microsoft Word)
Please direct any questions to Mary Lou Hammann.
Click here for more information on potential internships.
Program Coordinator --
The Program Coordinator is a full-time exempt position responsible for quality Special Olympics Missouri (SOMO) sports training programs and athletic competitions available to all eligible individuals in the North Area. This person will also support and contribute toward area financial goals and objectives. Candidate will possess skills and experience in supervising volunteers and engaging the community to provide services for individuals with intellectual disabilities.
• Plan and implement all area competitions, which include offering all levels of competition (i.e. low motor and individual skills), working with the respective volunteer planning committee (GMT) and ensuring appropriate evaluation.
• Ensure all activities conform to SOI General Rules/SOMO Policies.
• Work in cooperation with SOMO Sports Department to ensure that the appropriate numbers of training schools for the area’s needs are provided.
• Manage and maintain appropriate paperwork and database in relationship to area athletes.
• Recruit and retain athletes through public awareness.
• Represent or send a responsible representative to state competition where area athletes are participating.
• Coordinate volunteer acquisition, day of training and management for all program and fundraising events to include managing appropriate paperwork as outlined in the volunteer policy.
• Maintain the area calendar of events and web presence to include details of sports/volunteer opportunities and maintain online volunteer registration system.
• Coordinate outreach efforts through Global Messengers and athlete appearances in the community.
• Coordinate Young Athlete Program.
• Develop, manage and meet annual budget.
• Provide leadership, assistance, guidance and support to staff and volunteers sufficient to inspire and motivate those individuals to achieve success and strive for excellence in their Special Olympics Missouri activities.
• Ensure assigned annual plan objectives are attained.
• Ensure on-going demonstration of SOMO Guiding Values and related behaviors.
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor
IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL POSSESS:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred and/or equivalent experience
- High energy level and experience in sports management, event management and volunteer management
- Special Olympics experience preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills, maturity and good judgment; capable of communicating with a diverse range of individuals; team player with demonstrated success in a team environment
- Commitment to travel throughout the area and for state level competition as well as evenings and weekend work as needed
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products
- Strong organization and management skills
Employee Medical, Dental, Life, Travel and Disability Insurance
Paid Sick Leave
Retirement Plan (403B) (3% Employer Contribution & up to 5% Matching)
Twelve Paid Holidays/Year
Ten Hours/Month Paid Vacation
REPORTS TO: Senior Director of Sports Initiatives
LOCATION: St. Joseph, MO
Complete Application for Employment (on website www.somo.org) and send along with resume, references, college transcript and salary requirements to:firstname.lastname@example.org
SPECIAL OLYMPICS MISSOURI IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.