Cycle for the Future
Cycle for the Future will be debuting Sept. 20-21, 2014. It is a two-day cycling event that will take riders EITHER from St. Charles to Jefferson City or Clinton to Jefferson City. That's right, it will be two simultaneous rides that end in Jefferson City.
- Benefits Special Olympics Missouri’s Training for Life Campus
- 44,000-square-foot campus will give 17,000+ athletes a place to train and call their own
- Will be largest of its kind for athletes with intellectual disabilities in the U.S.
- $155 registration fee + $155 fundraising minimum = $310 total to participate in the ride (more specific details below)
- This is a rain or shine, low participation or high participation event. It will happen no matter what, so sign up today!
- While the last day to register is Sept. 8, the last day to register for return shuttle service is Aug. 20. We can't guarantee you a spot if you register past Aug. 20 although we will be as accomodating as possible!
- 121.4 miles
- Start in Clinton (Sept. 20)
- Camp in Boonville
- End in Jefferson City (Sept. 21)
- 103.7 miles
- Start in St. Charles (Sept. 20)
- Camp in Hermann
- End in Jefferson City (Sept. 21)
Overnight stops will include cycling demonstrations to help local SOMO athletes work on their cycling skills. While it's very popular in other states and around the world, cycling currently isn't one of SOMO's offered sports. Not only are we trying to raise money for our Training for Life Campus, but we're also wanting to see if our athletes are interested enough in cycling to make it one of our sports.
- 300 person maximum on each route.Yes, this will be on a first-come, first-served basis. Because this is the first time we're putting on an event like this, we felt it would be best to control the numbers to the best of our ability.
- Online registration only, NOW OPEN!
- $155 registration fee (50 percent of the overall goal to participate)
- In addition, there's a $155 fundraising minimum (on top of the $155 registration fee, so $310 total to participate) to ride includes meals (lunch on Saturday is on your own), snacks, outdoor camping fees (you provide the tent, sleeping bag, etc.), luggage transportaion, goody bag and more!
- You are able to just pay the fundraising minimum and registration fee at the same time if you'd prefer. This will ensure that your spot on the ride is confirmed.
- If you haven't paid/raised the whole $310 by the drop-date of Sept. 8, then the money you have raised will be considered a donation; sorry, no refunds.
- If the number of entries reaches 300 on the route you've signed up for and are in the middle of raising money, your registration fee and other money that you have raised will be refunded. That's why it's important to raise as much money as possible as quickly as possible to save your spot on the ride. Paying the $155 registration fee won't hold your place; only after you've reached the $310 total will that serve as you officially signing up for the ride.
- Registrants are highly encouraged to raise more than the $310 overall minimum to participate in the ride. All of the money raised will help support Special Olympics Missouri athletes and the Training for Life Campus. We will have some nice fundraising incentives for those riders who raise more than the $310 minimum, so stay tuned for those!
- Riders must be at least 12 years of age. Any rider below the age of 18 by event date must be accompanied by a parent/guardian at all times while on the ride. The maximum ratio of adult-to-child riders is 1:3. All riders are encouraged to review the bike safety notes in the rider's packet, but riders under the age of 17 are required to go over everything with their parent/guardian before the ride.
- Post-ride transportation: There's an option for riders who are interested in having return-trip transportation for an additional $60. The busses will take you back to your originating city in either Clinton or St. Charles. That option will be available when you first register through our online system, which will be available soon.
Incentives for fundraising
Schedule (coming soon!)
Demonstration stops material (coming soon!)
If you raise more than $1,000, you will receive a one-of-a-kind Cycle for the Future cycling jersey! Trust me, you're going to want this jersey! Make sure once you reach your minimum that you keep raising that money for our amazing athletes.
More details will be posted here as they become available in the upcoming weeks. Please be patient as this is our first year putting on an event such as this. Thank you!
If you have any questions or want to become a sponsor, volunteer or serve on the commitee planning this ride, please contact Brandon Schatsiek at Schatsiek@somo.org.