Athletes train for a minimum of eight weeks for the sports they participate in. From there, they can participate on a local level, followed by area, district, and sometimes regional competition for their opportunity to compete on a state level. For some, opportunities go beyond the state level to National and even World Games. All athletes must have a physical and consent form completed before beginning practices. Read more and download documents here.
Special Olympics Missouri offers two state-level events throughout the year. Here, athletes get to travel away from home overnight and gain a sense of independence while making new friends and shining in front of a statewide audience. This State Games structure is new, and you can click here to see a complete breakdown of when competitions will be offered for each sport. Further clarification of why we've changed the structure of competitions or how athletes will qualify for state can be found here.
- State Summer Games (Columbia) May 29-June 1- Athletics, Aquatics, Basketball, Bowling, Powerlifting and Volleyball.
- State Outdoor Games (Jefferson City) Oct. 3-5- Bocce, Flag Football, Golf, Soccer, Softball, and Tennis.
- State Indoor Games (Fort Leonard Wood) March 27-29: Basketball and Bowling.
- State Summer Games (Springfield) May 29-31: Athletics, Aquatics, Powerlifting, Soccer and Volleyball.
- State Outdoor Games (Jefferson City) 1st or 2nd weekend of Oct.: Bocce, Flag Football, Golf, Softball and Tennis.
Every four years, the USA National Games provide an opportunity for athletes to compete at the national level in summer sports. The 2014 USA Games were be held in New Jersey. To qualify, individuals need to receive a gold medal in their sport of choice during the year prior to selection camp, attend selection camp, and be selected to Team Missouri.
On odd-numbered years, Special Olympics athletes come together for World Games. World Games alternate between summer and winter sports and give athletes the chance to travel farther away from home and interact with athletes from other countries through the language of sport. The next World Summer Games will take place in Los Angeles in 2015. The next World Winter Games will be in Austria in 2017.
Coaches may submit the hours spent on training and competition, travel and paperwork all online! Do so here for each sports season.
"Let me win. But if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt."